It may just be that our customers are not very good designers but many of
the Flash-based multimedia projects we have tested have had problems with
resource utilisation. Often the video will use 2 or 3 times as much CPU and
memory when it is embedded in Flash compared with playing it in a media
player. I have seen this kill reasonable spec machines like a 2GHz P4 when
the original video would play ok on a machine half that speed.

I just finished such a project today. One video had been compressed to three
different levels to allow it to be streamed at different rates. All three
videos used the same CPU and memory even though the file sizes varied by a
factor of 4 to 1. It means that people with different connection speeds can
make an appropriate choice but people with low-specification hardware (1GHz
PIII and below in this case) cannot.

We are not designers, just testers, so I don't know if there is a simple
solution to this. However, we work for a lot of clever people and they often
revert to a non-Flash solution.

You also need to be careful how you embed your Flash content because some
techniques (I believe Satay is one) are not accessible to screen readers. At
this very moment I am testing a site where this happens. Unfortunately a
very loud Flash-based audio track starts when the page loads and the button
for silencing it is not accessible because JAWS does not even recognise that
the page contains a Flash movie.

Steve Green
Director
Test Partners Ltd / First Accessibility