I think "pause" is just what screen readers would do at <hr /> - so why not
use it for its purpose?

Because we can style the div/whatever that would come after HR the
same way–to render
"pause" and that makes HR redundant, imho.

So let's tomorrow discuss do we really need that weird non semantic <br />.
Or we can just stick with <span> and span{display:block} ? =)
I think we still need br and hr. They are similar in a lot of ways.

BR is tougher, I haven't made my mind about it yet :)
But for tomorrow I'll try my best to avoid discussing semantics
altogether, this
is not as bad as fluid vs. fixed or font-size, but it is close ;)

Regards,
Rimantas
--
http://rimantas.com/