1. Form controls are UI widgets more than html elements.
2. CSS 2.1 doesn't define which properties apply to form controls
<http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/conform.html#conformance>
3. Most form controls can't really be defined/described in terms of CSS 2.1. 4. many users prefer form controls that can not be styled (OS specific). I had a huge amount of feedback in that sense when I developed my alternative form controls package for Fx Mac [1].
The same can be seen through Camino feedback mail.

Barney Carroll wrote:
The reason WebKit apps didn't allow this was because they were developed at a time when standards awareness was very low,
That is not true. Rather, something like: nobody bothered to spend time developing an implementation that allows author styling.

and the functionality of forms is something extremely important to convey - something that if styled wrong might easily confuse the user.
But that is certainly true.
I recently came across an 'award wining theme' for a well-known blogging software package. Thing was/is using one of those fancy Image replacement methods for submit buttons. Unreadable grey on grey text in mouse type. Barely noticeable difference between page background and widget. No text label.
I prefer the un-style-able widgets in my browser (Camino).

Firefox 3 Mac will have native form controls. Those will be more or less sensitive to author styling. A user preference to allow/disallow that author styling is in the pipeline (similar to what Opera Mac has).

[1] <http://emps.l-c-n.com/articles/94/widgets-for-firefox>

Philippe
---
Philippe Wittenbergh