Philippe Wittenbergh wrote:
Barney Carroll wrote:
The reason WebKit apps didn't allow this was because they were developed at a time when standards awareness was very low,
That is not true. Rather, something like: nobody bothered to spend time developing an implementation that allows author styling.

Resounding authority there, Philippe. I would rather give the developers the credit of 'deciding not to' rather than 'not bothering'. The WebKit blog detailed this shift of attitude (no citation, I know, but I couldn't find the right search string) - Apple have always been extremely stringent on their UI guidelines, and their ancient 'make it mac' style guide for application developers is still a landmark in usability theory.

The logical proof of this is that CSS2.1 and a lot of 3 are implemented
to very high levels in the current release of Safari - these things were disallowed for form elements rather than simply not there in the first place.

The worst thing is that in the current Safari, width still applies. This came up recently when I created buttons that were styled to use white small-caps, neat dark grey boxes, and an inversed-colors + cursor change on hover. The result for webkit was simply that the last few letters were cut off. Which reveals an oversight: Let the user completely change the UI, or don't let them at all. Half-way is guaranteed to make a mess.

Regards,
Barney