On Feb 21, 2007, at 3:29 PM, Shlomi Asaf wrote:

thanks alot Christian for your answer, u given me data that i wasent aware about.

What you (and everyone else) need is display:table and
display:table-cell, but unfortunately these features are just not
supported in enough browsers yet.

Well, I used the method for a site. Doesn't work for IE Mac 5.2 but this browser support was not needed.

Work for IE 5.5 and above, all Gecko broswer except Netscape 4.x which is expected. IE is given 100% height, overflow hidden, negative paddings and float. I would say the browser support is good enough to make it on commercial site.

http://www.browsercam.com/public.aspx?proj_id=325739
http://project.lotusseedsdesign.com/sh-all/home_loggedout-new.html

quick example for your desired layout

#wrap {display: table}
div.content {display: table-row}
div.float {display: cell }

Safari can be a bit tricky, it seems that without #wrap, other browser stills display well. For some strange reason, padding didn't seem to work for .float, as a result I was forced to use white thick borders to seperate each block. There were times client requested blocks position be shifted, thus messed up Safari quite a bit, any inner content wrap (in my case, the table) without width declared makes Safari wacky too.

Clear both absolutely needed for each row.

All credit goes to Georg as without his pointer and help, I was not able to do my job for this layout.

Hope this helps!

tee