       This is a one-way list for WSG Announcements
This email covers:
- Links for light reading
- WSG and Industry events
- Industry related jobs

If you have an event, resource or relevant job you'd like posted (from any
country), please let me know - [EMAIL PROTECTED]

----------------------------------
GET CONNECTED -  LINKED/FACEBOOKED?
----------------------------------
What to connect with other WSG members?

Linkedin WSG group:
http://www.linkedin.com/groupInvitation?groupID=54560&sharedKey=13D0DC45E3AF

Facebook WSG group:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2410228768

----------------------------------
LINKS FOR LIGHT READING
----------------------------------

This weeks "links for light reading" are also available here (for those who
click on the links below and find that they are broken):
<http://www.maxdesign.com.au/2008/07/29/some-links-186/>

The Survey, 2008
http://alistapart.com/articles/survey2008

Any-Element Linking Demo
http://meyerweb.com/eric/thoughts/2008/07/23/any-element-linking-demo/

Curriculum Survey Results
http://www.webstandards.org/2008/07/28/curriculum-survey-results/

A Small Design Study Of Big Blogs
http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2008/07/24/a-small-study-of-big-blogs/

The future of web font embedding
http://clagnut.com/blog/2166/

Great conference? Now what?
http://www.meryl.net/2008/07/great-conference-now-what/

Designing Search Checklist
http://www.adaptivepath.com/blog/2008/07/14/designing-search-checklist/

Regex Matching Attribute Selector
http://www.sitepoint.com/blogs/2008/07/29/regex-matching-attribute-selectors
/

Unit PNG Fix
http://labs.unitinteractive.com/unitpngfix.php

The Long Wow
http://www.uie.com/articles/the_long_wow/

Emastic
http://code.google.com/p/emastic/

Silverback
http://silverbackapp.com/

Open Web Foundation
http://openwebfoundation.org/

Last Call: CSS Color Module Level 3
http://www.w3.org/News/2008#item125

The accessibility paradox/cheering for the little man
http://www.onderhond.com/blog/work/accessibility-paradox

----------------------------------
WSG AND INDUSTRY EVENTS
----------------------------------

Sydney PHP users group
---------------
Date: 7-Aug-08
City: Sydney (Australia)
Meetings are a great place to network with (bring your business cards) and
meet other developers in the Sydney region, possibly find development work
and generally discuss tips and tricks in PHP development face to face with
your peers. We currently have upwards of 30 attendees per meeting so please
make sure you RSVP prior to coming so that adequate food and drinks can be
provided.
http://www.sydphp.org/2008/07/18/august-2008-group-meeting/

Demystifying web accessibility workshop
---------------
Date: Thursday, August 14th, 2008
City: London, England
A full day course designed to introduce website owners, commissioners,
marketing or project managers and designers to the reasons for making
websites accessible, including the principles and practices that make
this possible.
http://www.rnib.org.uk/xpedio/groups/public/documents/PublicWebsite/publ
ic_introtrain.hcsp

August web standards meeting (Sydney)
---------------
Date: 19-Aug-08
City: Sydney (Australia)
Presentation 1: "Findability: going beyond SEO"
Presentation 2: "One Web, No Go"
Presentation 3: "Building web apps for iPhones"
http://webstandardsgroup.org/meetings/index.cfm?event_id=156

Web on the Piste
---------------
Date: 20-Aug-08 to 21-Aug-08
City: Queenstown (New Zealand)
The ultimate conference for rich internet technologies is on again this year
and if you haven't already heard about it, then check out
www.webonthepiste.com and get yourself a ticket ASAP! WOTP is a vendor
neutral conference held in Queenstown, NZ in August 20 - 21st - in the
height of the ski season. With a unique offering of Microsoft and Adobe
playing happily together and showcasing the latest & greatest in
technologies such as Silverlight / WPF, Flash, Flex / AIR, .NET, Coldfusion,
you'll get a big dose of the RIA market in one place. With a heap of
excellent speakers / sessions, a fantastic social agenda and with the
activities that Queenstown offers - your guaranteed to learn a lot and have
fun.

Local Government Web Network Conference 2008: We Believe in Community
---------------
Date: 21-Aug-08 to 22-Aug-08
City: Sydney (Australia)
2 full days on web technologies, strategies, creativity, and standards. 12
sessions in 2 streams and 6 plenary sessions from some of the leading
experts in the field from Industry and Government. With an impressive
program of topics and a hot list of speakers including:
* Cameron Adams, Russ Weakly, Brian Hardy, Tim Lucas, Lachlan Hardy.
The conference is the first annual conference of the Local Government Web
Network in NSW, the theme and title of the conference is "We Believe in
Community" which is at the heart of what the network aims to achieve. This
conference is open to all tiers of government, the public sector, non-profit
and community groups. Don't miss out on this great opportunity to meet with
your peers and professionals, participate in discussion and debate, and come
away inspired feeling a part of this new web community.
Register for tickets before 1 August: $350.00
Late registrations til 8 August: $400.00
 To register your tickets and for more information go to:
http://www.lgwebnetwork.org/

dConstruct 2008 (Brighton, UK)
---------------
Date: 5-Sep-08
City: Brighton (UK)
The hottest ticket in the web design calendar is back for it's fourth
instalment. This year dConstruct will see speakers such as Steven
Johnson, Daniel Burka, Joshua Porter and Jeremy Keith talk about
"Designing the Social Web." Tickets go on sale at 11am BST on the
24th June and usually sell out within a day, so stick a note in your
diary today.
http://2008.dconstruct.org/

Oz-IA/2008
---------------
Date: 20-Sep-08 to 21-Sep-08
City: Sydney (Australia)
Oz-IA, Australia's Information Architecture Conference, will be on once
again this year. This is our third year, and it's going to be even bigger.
We will also have full and half day workshops on Thursday 18th and Friday
19th. http://www.oz-ia.org/2008/
We have an immediate call for participation - short or advanced conference
sessions, posters, panels, and workshop facilitators. Deadline: July 25th.
http://www.oz-ia.org/2008/presenters.shtml

Singularity Web Conference
---------------
Date:  24-Oct-08 to 26-Oct-08
City: everywhere
Singularity is the first large-scale online web conference in the world.
On October 24-26, join 100 of the world¹s top web visionaries, developers,
designers, thought leaders, and celebrities for three days of talks at this
seminal web event.
Attend from home or from a real-world local conference hub near you. Catch
up with old friends (you can find them from your existing social networks)
and meet new ones. And you don¹t even have to take time off work.
http://singularity08.com/

Web Directions South 2008
---------------
Date: 25-Sep-08 to 26-Sep-08
City: Sydney (Australia)
This year in over 30 sessions across 3 tracks and 2 days, plus another 2
days of workshops, we cover off front and back end design and development,
mobile design and development, information architecture, user experience and
interaction design, social media and networks, accessibility, Ajax and
Javascript, semantic web, RIAs, web application security, marketing and
advertising online and so much more. With speakers including:
* Jeffrey Veen - renowned UX expert from Wired, Adaptive Path, Google
* Derek Featherstone - leading accessibility expert
* Daniel Burka - interaction designer for Digg
* Jina Bolton - The Art and Science of CSS
* Douglas Crockford - Ajax security expert at Yahoo!, and the world's
leading JavaScript authority
* Jeff Croft - web design and typography guru
* Lynne D Johnson - Senior Editor and Community Director at FastCompany
http://south08.webdirections.org/

----------------------------------
JOBS
----------------------------------

Job 1
---------------
Web Content Administrator at National Australia Bank
Docklands, VIC
3 month contract position.

We are seeking a competent web professional to join our team of content
administrators working on the website of one of Australia's largest
financial institutions. Working within our enterprise level content
management system, you will be responsible for the quality assurance of
content published into our production environment. As such, you will need to
be competent in the following skills:
€ HTML
€ CSS
€ JavaScript
€ W3C guidelines
€ Accessibility awareness and best practices

While your work will be mostly front end authoring, you will also be
required to liaise with technology partners for the development of server
side scripting and more technical web publishing. In addition to your
technical skill set, candidates must also posses the following qualities:
€ Highly organised
€ Excellent communication skills
€ Ability to manage multiple concurrent projects
€ Attention to detail

Position is initially available immediately for a fixed 3 month period with
possibility of ongoing opportunity. How to apply:
Ben Forsyth, Online Platform Manager
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Job 2
---------------
Rare opportunity for tenacious Digital and Web Account Services
professionalŠ
* Opportunity to start afresh with newly established     small design agency
* Great team culture and studio environment
* Up to $50K + Super plus excellent commissions!

My client is the new kid on the block and after a seriously successful first
few years on the digital scene is looking for a creative individual to
kick-start their business development drive. The new Business Development
Manager will be responsible for:
* Maintaining the existing client portfolio
* Creating a new business pipeline
* Enhancing company brand awareness in the Digital, Web and Creative
industries
* Meeting agreed KPI¹s monthly
* Liaising extensively with clients and service providers

You will need:
* Outstanding communication skills
* Excellent written documentation skills (experience writing tenders and
proposals are highly desirable!)
* At least 3 years Sales and Account Management experience in the relevant
industries (digital agency background, advertising, publishing etc) but with
a consultative manner
* A natural and enthusiastic understanding of the design,  development,
emerging web technologies and trends

* An ability to adapt to a variety of different situations with a bunch of
different people and at all levels
* The ability to act autonomously when needed
* A great sense of humour and a natural understanding of creative
environments!

This is such a great opportunity for a young-at-heart individual who has
been looking for a small progressive organisation, with a culture of reward
and recognition, supportive management, extremely reasonable targets, a
creative environment and interesting projects and products! Call Georgie on
0416 739 570 or email [EMAIL PROTECTED] for a confidential
discussion.

Did I miss an event, resource or job in your city? If you have an event,
resource or relevant job you'd like posted (from any country), please let me
know - [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thanks
Russ