my first bike was getting 140 watt/mile that was one etek at 48 volts 700
pounds total weight a mostly flat 20 mile trip [50% DOD] done in 45 minutes,
stop and go traffic.  however that is measured from the wall with a
kill-o-watt.  my new bike is still being broken in, but my last 20 mile trip
[66% DOD] with two eteks 48 volts at 800 total pounds 45 mph average speed,
stop and go, more hills, took 200 watt/mile.

  measured from the wall means charger loss and extra power put into the
batteries.  so a rough guess might be 75% of that amount?

  i think on-the-road watt/mile is good info, but i'm more interested in total
power used

Garret Maki <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  Mark,
88whr/mile just seems lower than everyone else.  Do you actually have
instrumentation in place to count watt hours out of your pack or are you
guessing based on what you think the SOC is?  I have built several bikes with a
current shunt and have used the emeter/Link 10 and also the cycle analyst to
measure/ calculate actual whr/m and at 45 mph with a lighter bike I'm well over
100 with an etek and 300# bike and on a more similar bike to what you mention,
around 117 whr/m with a series wound motor 50 psi in the tires and ducking
behind the windshield with a fresh brake rebuild and new grease in the bearings.

If you are using is cheap state of charge meter which is just a volt meter and
going by the printed specs on the capacity of your batteries you are really
just taking a poke in the dark about what the energy usage is and I'm afraid
you'll be giving other builders false hope about what their range will be.  I
just want to keep it real here, and I don't think a lead bike converted from a
gas bike will do better than 100 whr/mile avg. in 45 mph stop and go riding.
Call me pessimistic, but I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

I highly recommend this for $150 http://ebike.ca/drainbrain.shtml

Garret, in Minneapolis now.

Mark Eidson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:   I get 88whr per mile with my 72V bike.
I have 6 PC1500 ~50aH AGM
batteries. I figure about 30 miles to 80% DOD. The most I have
driven is 24 miles to ~65% DOD. Typical speed is about 45MPH. I agree
you will need more than 50aH. me

harry

Albuquerque, NM
http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/1179