Hello Paul,
It seem that you are the person that can clarify this for me.

First do you concur that there is a mismatch between a standard electric motor
#40 (front) sprocket and the 4xx and 5xx chain sizes?

Second if we cannot change the #40 end then what size motorcycle chain should
we use (assuming that we can cut a large rear sprocket to meet our needs?

Third, I note that modern sport bikes like the Yamaha YZF600 use a very small
modern chain like the 520. It is not as wide. I do not know about the pitch but
it seems smaller than a 525 or 530 to my eye. Is this true?

- Mike B.