Joseph,

Both excellent questions, but neither of which I know the answer to.  As for
the first, if you had asked me that question 2 years ago, I would have said
"yes, definitely not".  But Toyota is the largest automaker in the world (in
terms of both sales and capitalization) and as such is not a monolithic
organization; like GM, or any other large automaker for that matter, there
are internal factions and differences of opinion.  So I would venture to say
that it probably depends on whom you speak with at Toyota.  The fact that
A123 has already signed up Toyota dealers as its certified retail
installers, and will continue to sign up more of them, is in itself probably
good evidence of that.

As for your second question, again, I don't know, but I would suspect so, if
not directly then at least through various intermediaries.  :-)

Yes, Priuses with the A123/Hymotion plug-in conversion kit installed in them
have been tested by the EPA for emissions and have passed such testing and
thus are EPA certified.  As for whether you'll find such results on the
government website you mentioned, I don't know; maybe, maybe not; maybe not
if that website only publishes figures for new cars, stock, as they come
from the manufacturer.  But if you are interested in seeing the specific
data and results of the EPA emissions testing of the A123/Hymotion converted
Priuses, I would encourage you to contact A123 and ask them for that data.
They should be willing to give it to you or direct you to a website
containing that data.

When dealing with plug-in electric vehicles, the government uses a "miles
per gallon equivalent" figure.  This is calculated based on the fact that a
gallon of gasoline contains approximately 33.75 kWh worth of energy.  So in
the case of the 2002 Toyota RAV4-EV, for example, which consumes 270 Wh/mile
(from the wall to the wheels):

(33.75 kWh/gal.) / (.27 kWh/mile) = 125 miles per gallon equivalent
(usually abbreviated as "mpge").

You would have to work out a blended average mpg-mpge for a certain number
of miles driven per day in the case of an A123/Hymotion converted plug-in
Prius, given that it is using both gasoline and stored electricity from
charging the car.  Putting together such a matrix for different number of
miles driven per day might make a good school homework assignment.  :-)

You flatter me, but to be honest about it, you're giving me more credit than
I'm due.  Anyone who has been around the EV community for a while has
developed some connections.  There is a certain correlation there that goes
with time invested.  Those in the Florida EAA leadership who have been
around longer than I have better connections than I do.

As for the specific case at hand, I am a few connections away from having
any real influence in the matter.  I was merely a facilitator and foot
soldier in the chain of communications.

To be entirely honest about it, Fran Sullivan-Fahs is the one who deserves
all the credit and is making this happen through her sheer determination,
tenacious, persistent follow-through, and perseverance.  She is a one-person
tour-de-force!  ... (double-entendre there on the "tour")

Charles