arvey,

Here are Mr. Senator Obamas remarks on energy from meeet hte press today.

My opinion we don't need 150 Billion in research.  We need Renewable energy
from solar, wind, geo thermal, and tidal.  We need plugin cars now.

With 150 billion, at a cost of $50,000 each, we could give away 3 million
RAV4-EVs.

Cheers,
Al Lococo
www.evprogress.org

MR. BROKAW:  As painful as it is, is the idea of $4 gasoline a good thing in a
way because it's forced the country to confront finally the idea that we do
have an energy crisis, and it's forcing Detroit to retool its line of
automobiles, make them more energy efficient.

SEN. OBAMA:  Right.

MR. BROKAW:  People are driving less now.  In some states, there's an
indication that maybe even traffic deaths are down.

SEN. OBAMA:  Yeah.  Well, I do not think that high gas prices are a good thing
for American families.  I mean, I've, I've met teachers who have quit their
jobs because the school where they were teaching was just too far.  It was
consuming too much of their income.  I've met people who lost their job and
couldn't go on a job search because they couldn't fill up the gas tank.
Ordinary families are under extraordinary stress as a consequence of these high
gas prices, so we need to do what we can to bring those prices down, but...

MR. BROKAW:  But there's no easy answer for that on a short term.

SEN. OBAMA:  ...but there, but there, but there isn't, and, and that's what I
was about to say.  The, the fact of the matter is that we should have, over the
last 20 years, been planning for this day.  I have been an advocate for raising
fuel efficiency standards for years, something that John McCain has opposed.
Had we taken those steps, we would not be in the same situation that we're in
right now, the fact that all the big three U.S. automakers are getting
hammered.  Had we worked with them to adjust and retool to adapt to this
market, we would not be losing as many jobs as we're losing right now. That's,
that's all hindsight.  Going forward, what we have to do is we do have to
continue to push to make cars much more fuel efficient, and I think that the
direction of hybrid plug-ins, where we can get a hundred miles per gallon of
gas because we've developed battery technology and created a new electricity
grid, that can make a huge difference.  Industrial use of oil, we can change
that.  That's why I want to put $150 billion, $15 billion a year, into all
these new technologies, research and development.  We have to have the same
approach that John Kennedy said, "We're going to the moon in 10 years." We
should be saying, "In 10 years time, we're going to be cutting our oil
consumption drastically." That will bring down, by the way, the price of oil
for when we do need to use it.