Hi Charles and All,

----- Original Message Follows -----
From: "Charles Whalen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Florida EAA" <ListServ@Floridaeaa.org>, "Jamie"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [FLEAA] no net metering yet
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2008 01:02:57 -0400

>> You will never have an annual credit if you live in
>> South Florida unless you have a huge system and
>> never run your AC.
>
>You don't need AC at all in South Florida if you design
>your house correctly.  I have met several such people with
>homes in South Florida who do not need and don't use AC and
>yet live and sleep cool and comfortably, including some
>green architects and some PV homes; I have been in one such
>home myself.  There are people with PV homes in South
>Florida who *do* have annual credits.

        Another way is to insulate well with a small area
and stay cool. I can't sleep if over 80F and high humidity.
But my electric bill is only $40 last month with full time
cooling. That's only 8kwhr/day so one should be able to get
a check at the end of the yr.
        I got my PSC comment on net metering in the record.
Only 6 people bothered to comment so we could really make a
difference if just 20 of us commented regularly on PSC
policies. I also commented on Nukes and AE on other PSC
rules. Will comment shortly on the new rate increases which
are up 30-50% over the next couple yrs on the west coast on
why AE hasn't been implemented as wind, solar thermal
engines, tidal power and conservation are cost effective and
becoming more so as fossil fuel, nukes go up in price.

>As for net-metering, what I can tell you from the
>legislator who authored and introduced it into the
>legislature is that it is a done deal, passed, signed into
>law by Governor Crist, finished, completed, and implemented
>by the Florida PSC.  I was sitting in House Majority Leader
>Adam Hasner's office just a few days ago and had this very
>conversation with him.  He said he was quite sure that the
>PSC had already implemented it but said he would check on
>that for me right there and proceeded to call up the head
>of the PSC, who confirmed it and immediately emailed Adam
>the relevant info, which Adam then forwarded onto me.  Here
>is the information, from the head of the Florida PSC:
>
>-----------
>
>Below is the link to the FPSC news release on approval of
>the net metering rule:
>
>http://www.floridapsc.com/home/news/index.aspx?id=370
       Assuming they are implemented then this is a very
good set of rules, especially with as pro public hookup
cost, ect wise, putting the onus on the utility. The PSC
aids are very pro AE, progressive and they write the rules,
do everything so talk to them.

> [...]
>
>* The Rule 25-6.065 will further encourage the development
>of customer-owned renewable generation by expanding
>eligibility under the rule to all renewable technologies,
>and increasing the capacity covered under the rule to 2 MW.
>
>* The rule provides more detailed interconnection
>requirements by incorporating nationally recognized
>standards for interconnection and safety-IEEE 1547, IEEE
>1547.1, and UL 1741-as well as explicit due dates for
>action by the utility and customer.
>
>* System size eligibility is broken into three Tiers: 1) up
>to 10kW; 2) greater than 10kW up to 100kW; and 3) greater
>than 100kW up to 2MW.
>
>* Tier 1 incorporates systems addressed in past FPSC rules,
>and will largely capture residential customers. Tier 1
>systems are exempt from several fees and obligations
>applied to the Tier 2 or 3 customers, including:
>application fees, liability insurance coverage, expenses
>related to manual disconnect switches, and interconnection
>study charges (Tier 3 only).
>
>* The rule requires net metering for customer-owned
>renewable generation systems interconnected pursuant to the
>rule.
>
>* Credit for excess energy sent to the grid during any
>billing period will be carried forward and applied to the
>next billing period to offset the customer's consumption.
>At the end of the year any remaining excess energy credits
>will be purchased by the IOU's at their avoided cost rate.
>
>* IOUs will be responsible for installing, at their expense
>, any meters required to enable net metering of excess
>energy.
>
>* The rule states that any Renewable Energy Certificates
>associated with a customer's self-generation will be
>retained by the customer. If an additional meter is needed
>to measure total energy generated by the customer in order
>to obtain the RECs, the customer will be responsible for
>those costs. The customer may negotiate with the IOU for
>the purchase of the customer's RECs.
>
>-----------
>
>Jamie, sounds like what you've got is a problem with FPL
>dragging their feet and not complying with the law.  I
>would suggest that you first take this up with FPL, inform
>them that they are in non-compliance with the law, forward
>them this information, including my entire email regarding
>my conversation with Majority Leader Hasner and his phone
>call with the head of the PSC, and then if you don't get a
>satisfactory response from FPL but still just more
>foot-dragging and obfuscation, you should report FPL's
>non-compliance to the PSC.  That is completely unacceptable
>for FPL to refuse to comply with the law.  Majority Leader
>Hasner and I specifically discussed FPL's past behavior and
>how they had dragged their feet and fought against
>net-metering for years.  I can't say this any louder:
>NET-METERING IS THE LAW OF THE LAND HERE IN FLORIDA!!!!!
>FPL had better get into compliance immediately!!!!

           I agree, give them hell, call your rep, senator,
PSC about it.
The rules are clear.

>If you do not get this resolved by FPL, and then the PSC,
>if necessary, please let me know so that I can take this up
>with Majority Leader Hasner, who is the leader of Renewable
>Energy and PV initiatives in the Florida House of
>Representatives.  Please document and keep records of all
>of your communications with FPL.
>
>As I said, feel free to forward this email in its entirety
>to FPL.
>
>Good luck!
>
>Charles Whalen
>Florida EAA
>

>----- Ori
>On Sep 3, 2008, at 5:37 PM, Charles Whalen wrote:
>
>>> I am hearing that the electric company will only give
>>> you credit towards
>>> future bills, not cash. Doesnt make sense if you produce
>>> your own electric
>>> and do not use the grid that you can only get a credit
>>> that you may never
>>> use.
>>
>> As mandated by Florida state law and already implemented
>> by the Florida PSC,
>> the way that net-metering works in Florida is that the
>> electric utility will
>> roll your net-positive kWh credit into the next month and
>> continue to accumulate such credits until the end of 12
>> months, at which time the utility will pay you cash for
>> the cumulative kWh credits you have built up
>> over the previous year, *BUT*, valued and paid to you at
>> the utility's "avoided cost", which is around 4 cents/kWh
>> , *not* at their retail price,
>> which is around 12 cents/kWh.

           The PSC  told me they had worked out about
$.08kwhr for the end of the yr payment. With the new rates
coming up that will have to rise $.04+. We should get all
the fuel and generation charge which now is $.11kwhr in
TAmpa, soon to be 15cents/kwhr.
Comment on this in the rate comment section on your local
rate requests that are now in..

>> The way you earn the monthly net-positive credits (if
> indeed you have any)
>> is on an implicit "retail" basis, valued at 12 cents/kWh,
>> i.e. netted off
>> against your usage at the same retail price (of 12
>> cents/kWh) that the utility charges; but if you have any
>> cumulative net-positive kWh balance at
>> the end of 12 months, that is paid to you in cash at the
>> utility's wholesale
>> avoided cost rate of 4 cents/kWh.

            They have taken RE lessors to court stopping
them from selling electricity so it's any electric made by
you or anyone not a utility. It's something we need to get
changed because as I told them, AE will never get here if we
can't sell it. It's why I'm not in the RE business.

                                      Jerry Dycus