Bill - this is exactly the sort of answer my friend is looking for - thanks.
Does anyone else on the list want to share?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Bill Williamson [EMAIL
PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, 25 October 2007 3:51 PM
To: listserver@ozmoss.com
Subject: Re: [OzMOSS] RE: Farm level Site directory

My guess would be he wants a centralized list of ALL sites on the
Farm, not just on one web applicatoin.

EG if you have three web applications defined, each with 10 sites, a
central list of all 30 of those sites.

The way we have done this sort of thing (but with a different purpose
in mind) was using:
-a custom content type
-a custom feature creating a list with only 1 item (and event handlers
to cancel adding/removing... only updates were allowed) of that
content type
-a customized page which does a query for all of that content type
(using the search API, not just the default web parts)

As long as they all have the same SSP it works nicely.

OUR purpose was to allow sites to be "typed" and to have "status"
information, and thus you could filter based on this, but it would
also RESULT in giving you a list of all sites on the farm.  If your
content type contained fields like "category" "descripion" etc then it
could REALLY serve to create a site directory.

Unfortunatly it's a bit of custom coding, but not too much, mostly
just the "glue."

I can give more details if anyone is interested.