Hi Ishai - great to hear from you J

I designed and implemented one such soluition - farm wide 'site directory'.

As you know with Sharepoint the implementation chosen depends on how many
sites/items you're playing with at any point in time.
(e.g. while lists can hold 300K - 500K items in folders. What's practical for
the user? How to locate these in a view? Paging items etc. - in contrast to a
handful of items, these techniques are fine)

For this reason I decided to use implicit searching to return back a list of
'top level' sites through a custom web part - tree views are nice too. We used
folders and subfolders to represent the heirachy. This presented a familiar
view to the users to what they're used to.

Also Search took care of permission trimming in the search results. The custom
web part went off and grabbed additional descriptive information about the Site
if requested (this was set via a Web Part property)

As we all know - there's a bunch of ways to do this. We had pretty aggressive
deadlines around all this - it did the job.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Mick.