On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 7:16 AM, Ola Karlsson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  Hi people,
>
> I'm hoping to pick your brains on  the "best way" of reading an XML file in
> SL 2. J
>
> I've seen a few different approaches floating around on the web and I've
> listed some below.
>
> ·         Add the XML document as an Embedded resource in the Silverlight
> project and then use XDocument.Load
>
> ·         Add the XML document to the Silverlight project and use the
> Webclient class, with a  relative path from the ClientBin directory.
>
> ·         Add the XML document to the Web project calling the Silverlight
> project and use the HttpWebRequest class with a absolute path to the file.

I think the response to your question must not be unique for all the
scenario. All the ways you have described may be useful in different cases.

   - Reading a small xml embedded into the xap may be useful for small &
   rarely-changing configurations because you have to recompile (or at least
   open the xap-zip and repackage it) to change the configuration
   - Using the webclient or another network protocol is useful for biggest &
   often-changing configuration or for data retrieving (wcf?)

So the correct response for me is "it depend from what you are doing"

:D

HTH

--
Andrea Boschin
Microsoft(R) MVP - [Visual Developer - ASP/ASP.NET]