From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Stephen Price
Sent: Friday, 16 May 2008 3:42 PM
To: listserver@ozsilverlight.com
Subject: Re: [OzSilverlight] Ways of reading XML files?

I'm going through these questions myself right now.

I've got some image files and some XML files. I tried putting everything into
the xap file. It ended up 5Mb (I've cut it down to 1Mb) which doesnt seem very
much but would you believe I'm shaped at the moment so it was REALLY noticable.
You don't want to be hitting a "web site" and have to wait over a minute to
load it. You would lose about 99% of your users from them getting impatient and
clicking close.

So after removing the duplicate images from the file (I could also make the
images smaller/higher compression but would rather I didnt have to), I decided
to move the images into the ClientBin and change the Build Action from Content
to None (with copy if newer). The application loads much faster but now when I
click throught he content there is a delay as the images get downloaded when
needed rather than all at the start. It's a trade off, do you download
everything at the start or only when they need it. The later is better on
bandwidth but the app doesnt flow as nice if it is downloading images.

I wonder if there is a way to predownload the images... I've not yet looked at
the WebClient for downloading files. I would like to have a package (zip file?)
which contains the "content" and have the essentials of the app in the xap.
Then I'd have the best of both worlds. If I'm downloading a file I'm assuming
it only gets downloaded once and then I can pull resources out of it as many
times as I want?

using WebClient to download the file and then GetResourceStream to get the
contents out of it, right?

Having fun here. :)

cheers,
Stephen
On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 1:16 PM, Ola Karlsson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]<mailto:[EMAIL