In Australia they sell a big stainless screw - looks like a 12"wine
bottle cork screw. This fits neatly into a piece of ABS pipe so it can
be stored without worry about puncturing the dinghy. I've seen a similar
device in the US for anchoring the end of a dog leash. I just screwed it
into the sand above the high tide mark and tied the painter to it.

It worked fine in the Bahamas when my only concern was to hold the
dinghy on the beach. If traveling where the anchor may be needed to
anchor the dinghy in open water, I would bring my 13 lb folding grapnel
stored in a heavy cloth bag, or sometimes a bucket.

Don