Ahoy!

Starting to reach the limit of my knowledge here - tried to comment on your
points inline - hope the formatting comes through.

Bottom line your question:  if we are using an isolated source (e.g.
Isolation transformer, or inverter/generator away from the dock) why can we
not have a floating Natural line?  To be honest, I do not know all the
reasons.  AND I know when working with old tube equipment, we used an
isolation transformer that did not rebond the neutral line!  But that was to
protect us from hot chassis that seem to be common in tube equipment - we
would not use an unbounded isolation transformer during normal operations -
only while servicing the units.

In short, I suspect there are some specific situations where a floating
neutral has a benefit, and perhaps larger ships present some of those cases.
Perhaps interference or steel vessels change the situation some.  Myself -
this is a bit beyond my knowledge, and most of the talk around the safety
ground / neutral bonding centers on 'Thou Shall' - though read below for
some cases where lacking this connection can cause concern.

On my boat, I installed an isolating transformer and re-established the
safety ground to neutral bonding point in my electrical panel.  I cannot see
a clear reason not to do this (though there might be some), but I can see
some reasons why (read below) - and then there is the Thou Shall!

Perhaps someone else has insight into larger ship system electrical systems,
and more so their applicability to smaller boats such as ours.

-al-