If I remember correctly they made the scrubbers because they did not have
enough O2 to last, so the air in the capsule required recycling.

As for the question do you die of lack of O2 or CO2 poisoning, does it matter?
Dead is DeadĀ  (Sorry for the smart alec retort, but the devil made me do it)

Personally, I would think its lack of O2.

Rob