I am not sure what Apollo 13 used for the CO2 scrubber, but the most common,
quicklime, absorbs the CO2 without returning any O2 to the environment.  They
did have O2, but had to get rid of the CO2.

Norm
S/V Bandersnatch

If I remember correctly they made the scrubbers because they did not have
enough O2 to last, so the air in the capsule required recycling.

As for the question do you die of lack of O2 or CO2 poisoning, does it matter?
Dead is Dead  (Sorry for the smart alec retort, but the devil made me do it)

Personally, I would think its lack of O2.

Rob