Similar scenario but at least in-shore on the L.I. Sound. I checked
everything I could see, checked everything else, and was spitting nails by
the time I limped into a marina on our route which promised a decent diesel
mechanic. After I described the problem, he asked whether I checked all the
various filters in the fuel system so of course I answered in the
affirmative. When he asked about the one at the end of the pick-up tube
inside the tank the look on my face must have been priceless. I didn't know
there was one!!!

Fortunately this was on my old boat and the top of the tank was accessible
with a minimum of bodily contortions. Sure enough, he pulled the tube and
there was an entire bio-system living in/on that filter. Fifteen minutes
later, a new filter installed, we fired her up and she ran like a purring
kitten.

Steve Weinstein
S/V CAPTIVA
1997 Hunter 376, Hull #376
Sailing out of Oyster Bay, NY

All outgoing mail protected by VIPRE A/V