Finally got my email working properly (I hope) and came across the below
message from Ben.

To answer your question - "What kind of moron..." - in my case it was
Mercedes-Benz,

The diesel fuel pipes, both suction and return, attach to the bottom of the
fuel tank, but the suction one is covered by a screen.

After a period of time (the car is a 30-year-old 240D) the screen plugs up.
The quick cure is to simply switch rubber hoses on the two pipes in the
engine compartment and very soon buy a sack of $4.00 primary filters.
After changing a bunch of primary filters, a five-minute job at the side of
the road, the tank will be clean.

Removing the strainer to clean it involves making a special tool to drive a
3/4" drive socket (for the large size hex fitting carrying the strainer)
using a 3/8" drive because the strainer is right above the drive shaft.  Of
course, one could remove the tank too...