Ahoy Ben,

The pre-start lube oil pump is a $200 12VDC "Gear Puppy" brand pump.  It
works great - pumps up about 25 psi of lube oil pressure before I hit the
start switch.   If one forgets to turn it off right after the engine starts
it will try to pump against the 30
psi of engine oil pressure stalling the pump.  If one neglects to use a 15
amp fuse to protect the pump motor (as clearly shown in the installation
instructions) it will cost about $120 for the rewind job.   The wise sailor
will put a 15 amp auto-resetting circuit breaker (the little ones that plug
in to the common two-blade fuse socket) in the motor line.

Further to the spst main engine oil pressure switch.  This switch is rated
for 5 amps.  Considering an alternator uses about 5 amps field current (wide
open) I need to put a relay in the alternator control circuitry to turn on
this 5 amps of current from the 12 volt supply.  It's on my short list.

I know what you mean about fishermen not paying enough attention to being
sailors.  They seem to be so focused on catching fish to them the boat is
often simply an instrument to get them to the fish.

On the TV show "Tuna Wars" about tuna fishermen out of Gloucester, our
summer port of choice aired one episode where our heroes ran out of battery
and were dead in the water with a rising wind and no way to start their
engine.  One of their fellows towed them to Provincetown.

I still remember while serving on a tanker calling the Coast Guard to
arrange a tow for a shrimp boat 200 miles west of Key West.  They had a
water-in-the-fuel-tank problem. (see Bandersnatch's Fuel System to prevent
this situation)  They had plenty of spare filters but the only way they
could re-prime the fuel circuit was by turning the engine with the starter.
They eventually ran out of battery doing this and were dead in the water.

Norm
S/V Bandersnatch
Lying Julington Creek FL
30 23.8N 081 25.7W