GitHub also supports custom prefixes for the issues. However, here is
another limitation: the prefix must be at least 3 letters, so we
cannot, for example, autolink PR1234 issues. Already asked whether
this restriction could be lifted.

On Wed, Apr 22, 2020 at 3:15 PM James Y Knight via llvm-dev
<llvm-...@lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> GitHub canonically uses "#NNN" to refer to its bugs or pull requests, and
> also supports "GH-NNN". We'll want to switch to one of those schemes, so that
> automatic linking works properly. So, in that case, PR1234 == legacy issue,
> #1234 or GH-1234 == new issue.
>
> (See
> https://help.github.com/en/github/writing-on-github/autolinked-references-and-urls)
>
> On Tue, Apr 21, 2020, 10:43 PM Johannes Doerfert via cfe-dev
> <cfe-...@lists.llvm.org> wrote:

>> > Why are the bug numbers important?  Could you help give some example use
>> > cases that require having
>> > a non-intersecting set of bug numbers for bugzilla bugs and github issues?
>>

>> While I have no experience in bugzilla or github tooling, the two step
>> process described by Richard doesn't seem to be very complicated.
>>

>> As mentioned by others, we have commits and tests (and sometimes source
>> files) that explicitly mention bug numbers. I do regularly look up bugs
>> from a decade ago to determine if a test or some code still has
>> relevance or not. If PR3214 can be one of two bugs, it does not only
>> increase lookup time but also add confusion to everyone involved.
>>

>> Cheers,
>>
>>    Johannes
>>

>> > -Tom

With best regards, Anton Korobeynikov
Department of Statistical Modelling, Saint Petersburg State University