> When in ODP will this be the recommended or desired practice? Either
> the user will have to check the return values for success or the
> different calls will have to check their inputs for validity.
>
> If we are trying to support a number of (non-obvious) design patterns
> for the applications to use, these need to be documented (e.g. in
> architecture document or user's guide).

There only one design pattern for application: check return values. We provide
error check possibility for implementation.

> > x = XXX_INVALID; //init
> Why initialize x at all? The compiler will warn you if you are reading
> x before it has been assigned a value. IMO default initializations are
> dangerous.

It documents your intention: by default I'm doing X.

Yes, compiler can check that it's always set, but it does not which values
produce correct behavior by default (e.g. fail/crash by default).

-Petri