On 8 April 2015 at 19:02, Zoltan Kiss <zoltan.k...@linaro.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> OVS has a major performance issue with pktio at the moment: pktio always
> does parsing, but OVS does it for itself as well, and it is quite deeply
> woven into its code, so we can't easily modify it to use the ODP parsed
> data. Also, not every platform accelerate that (e.g. DPDK), at the moment
> it would make more sense to make parsing optional for pktio, so an
> application can opt not to do it.
> I can see two options now to define the API:
> - odp_pktio_open get a new bool parameter for this purpose
> - we create a new odp_pktio_enable/disable_parse function pair for this
> purpose

Is the result of the ODP packet parsing somehow used? I would assume that
OVS-ODP does not set up any classification rules so all packets go to some
default destination anyway (some pktio input queue). Can't the ODP
implementation then bypass the classification stage if it can understand
(and it should be able to) that classification does not change the behavior?

I would rather not invent explicit configurations when the implementation
should be able to deduce the best behavior based on the configuration
provided by the user.