On 8 May 2015 at 09:37, Stuart Haslam <stuart.has...@linaro.org> wrote:

> On Fri, May 08, 2015 at 08:40:39AM -0400, Mike Holmes wrote:
> > sorry paste failed me insert odp_version_impl_str
> >
> > However we just re-purposed odp_version_impl_str  from returning that "1"
> > to a string that is good for debug logs.
> >
> > odp_version_impl_str  = 0  << revert this to its old purpose
>
> Wouldn't it make sense for this function to return a string that
> matches the name of the tag that gets applied for releases that change
> the implementation and not the API?.. surely that won't be "0"

We did start with this solution concatenating the api number and an
implementation number only. For this next release it would be 1.1.0.0  and
the tag in the repo should be v1.1.0.0  so I think you are suggesting the
original proposal. For a  non API change if it happened right after 1.1 it
becomes 1.1.0.1

> By the way, looking at bugzilla it seems we're using the API version for
> all ODP bugs, but most of them are actually with the implementation.

Agree, that is what started the discussion and then resulted in this patch.

> > On 8 May 2015 at 08:38, Mike Holmes <mike.hol...@linaro.org> wrote:
> >
> > > I think we may have made a mistake.
> > >
> > > We need a way to indicate linux-generic changes that do not in any way
> > > touch the API given that linux-generic and the API are released
> together.
> > > We have that information already it is the version digit that was
> returned
> > > by odp_version_api_str()
> > > <
> http://docs.opendataplane.org/linux-generic-doxygen-html/group__odp__ver__abt__log__dbg.html#ga36ea138f559454eee62c343107947cb6>
> and
> > > was set to 0
> > >
> > > We should be releasing 1.1.0-0 right now, and when we make a point
> release
> > > that in no way touches the API will will release maybe 1.1.0-1.
> However we
> > > just re-purposed odp_version_api_str()
> > > <
> http://docs.opendataplane.org/linux-generic-doxygen-html/group__odp__ver__abt__log__dbg.html#ga36ea138f559454eee62c343107947cb6>
> from
> > > returning that "1" to a string that is good for debug logs.
> > >
> > > I think we need a new API for the verbose string.
> > >
> > > odp_version_api_str
> > > <
> http://docs.opendataplane.org/linux-generic-doxygen-html/group__odp__ver__abt__log__dbg.html#ga36ea138f559454eee62c343107947cb6
> >
> > > = 1.1.0
> > > odp_version_api_str()
> > > <
> http://docs.opendataplane.org/linux-generic-doxygen-html/group__odp__ver__abt__log__dbg.html#ga36ea138f559454eee62c343107947cb6
> >
> > > = 0  << revert this to its old purpose
> > >
> > > odp_version_description_str()
> > > <
> http://docs.opendataplane.org/linux-generic-doxygen-html/group__odp__ver__abt__log__dbg.html#ga36ea138f559454eee62c343107947cb6
> >
> > > << add this  =  linux-generic 1.0.4-0 (v1.0.4) May  8 2015 07:34:05 '
> > > https://git.linaro.org/lng/odp.git' (v1.0.4-22-g9a02ee4-dirty)
> > >

> Makes sense to me, though I would name this odp_version_str().

I like it, agree and will make that change if we go this route.

--
Mike Holmes
Technical Manager - Linaro Networking Group