If I may complement Christophe answer:

the target is to have ODP being able to leverage virtio-net in the VM
directly. Today, ODP can make use of virtio-net in a VM through DPDK packet
io using ODP-DPDK.

Accessing virtio-net device directly from ODP require both a device
framework and a driver framework which we are working on.

On the host side, we do not plan to do anything yet because it indrectly
means building OVS-ODP which may not happen at all.

That said, we started to work on VPP on top of ODP. At some point in time,
VPP may be a first class citizen of OpenStack and then we will be
implementing vhost-user.

Cordially,

FF

--
[image: Linaro] <http://www.linaro.org/>
François-Frédéric Ozog | *Director Linaro Networking Group*