OVS is a standard component of OpenStack. I am not sure I would say OVS is
fundamental: Juniper Contrail is probably more DEPLOYED in real NFV
architectures. Very large deployments need OpenStack Distributed Virtual
Routing (https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Neutron/DVR) which is not using
OVS because of its Layer 2 nature. The same applies to IPSec termination:
OpenStack VPNaaS (https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Neutron/VPNaaS).

OVS is fundamental for marketing benchmarking today.

Furthermore when you accelerate with OVS with userland frameworks (ODP or
DPDK):
- you loose the muti-tenant capabilities of OpenStack.
- OVS features has to be almost entirely rewritten in the userland framework

LNG is working on integrating VPP and ODP and plan to leverage P4 (which
supersedes OpenFlow) capable hardware.

FF

--
[image: Linaro] <http://www.linaro.org/>