On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 12:34 PM, Stas Sușcov <s...@nerd.ro> wrote:
> * The data belongs to the guys behind SE

This is patently false.  It's licensed CC-by-SA 3.0

http://blog.stackoverflow.com/2010/04/changes-to-stack-exchange/
http://blog.stackoverflow.com/2009/06/stack-overflow-creative-commons-data-dump/

> My advice is, if you want to start a new community around SE, do that,
> but stop asking people to help you without explaining them all the pros
> and cons of this action.

I did explain the pros.  If you want a deeper explanation, read my or
Iain's blog posts.

I don't see any cons here.  If it works for some people, fantastic!
We've got a new way to help even more people.  If it doesn't work for
some people, that's okay.  They can still use Ubuntu Forums, Launchpad
Answers, or whatever suits them best.

> * It has nothing to do with ubuntu as a community

That's fairly vague, can you elaborate on what you mean?

> What I would really like to see, is a new initiative to
> rebuild/organize/simplify existing ubuntu forums, instead of trying to
> get people on SE.

A forums website is an ill fit for a Q&A workflow.  You have to
manually mark a thread as solved, the replies to a thread are
organized by date, rather than usefulness, there's no obvious way to
find unanswered questions, there's no rewards system for a good
answer, etc, etc, etc.  You could bolt all of these things onto a
forums website, but then you'd have a Q&A site, or some Frankenstein
tool that tries to be both while sacrificing simplicity and thus ease
of use.

Stack Exchange is here today and it works extraordinarily well because
it was specifically designed for the use case we're looking to fill.