Hi,

Some answers into the text.

Le 19/08/2010 16:16, Daniel Holbach a écrit :
> Am 19.08.2010 15:27, schrieb YoBoY:
>

>>   ->  We should be able to let community sites link to the loco directory,
>> too earlier now, not well translated I think. Perhaps a way to let teams
>> make some loco.ubuntu-XX.org direct link, integration, make the
>> different LD instance automatically share items...
>>
>>   ->  Something's wrong, no loco.ubuntu.com link in the official
>> ubuntu.com site ?
>>
> We don't have loco.ubuntu.com as a useful site for people for very long,
> but I agree that it makes sense to get it linked in a lot more places.
>
> Which places can you all think of?

The official Ubuntu.com first.

The wiki.ubuntu.com, the LoCo teams can make links to point their
upcomming events.

>>   ->  I think the home page should be a neutral language page. Including a
>> twitter (identi.ca ?) streamline here is breaking this neutrality.
>> Event's can also break this neutrality but they are just "short titles",
>> so it's fine. I think also the events could be at the same level than
>> the teams, teams on left, events on right. We have these two elements on
>> the menu, so they have the same importance.
>>
> What do you mean by "neutral language page"? Make it less geeky? Explain
> what LoCos are?
>
> Where do you think the microblog stream should be instead? I like it
> very much to see what people are saying about their locoteams, so I
> wouldn't really like us to get rid of it. :-)

I mean a fully translated page.

The word "LoCo" is an acronym who stand for Local Community. I know
that. But my mom and a lot of people don't know that. The front page
have 9 "LoCo" in it but 0 Local Community.

>>   ->  Using acronyms in a community is pleasant and funny. Each community
>> develop their own type of acronyms. But outside the community, these
>> acronyms are the opposite, unpleasant "words" making harder to
>> understand what we are talking about.
>>
> Can you suggest where we should talk about what LoCo teams are and how
> to get involved? Can we file a bug for that and all try to explain it a
> bit better?
>

>>      I click on my continent, and can see the list of loco teams on this
>>      part of the world. Not funny, who the hell make this list. Some
>>      teams start with an ubuntu, some teams have a country name, some
>>      others don't have. It's a mess. Ho wait that's not all. What's that
>>      "Team without country" at the bottom. They are stateless ? Finding
>>      my team in this list is a challenge. I try the search bar. Type my
>>      country name. No result.
>>
> All Launchpad team owners and admins should go and
>   - visit their Launchpad team page and change the display name
>     of the team to "Ubuntu<Country/State/City>" (don't change the
>     launchpad ID of the team)
>   - visit their team page in loco.ubuntu.com and select the country
>     they are doing their lion share of good work
>
> Please let's all make and effort to get this right!

All the teams ar not "One country" based. I can't do that, change the
name, for my team.

>> ->  We have to standardize these Loco-Team list items, and we have to put
>> a small link in front of the continents to send the visitor also on the
>> last list where he can perhaps find his loco team in it. My team uses
>> ubuntu-fr for is name, a user who don't know the conventional
>> ubuntu-XX(iso code) is lost also. But we can't change this name. Not all
>> the teams have one state limited activity. It's very complex I know.
>> Perhaps organising the list by country name, or placing the teams on
>> continent maps.
>>
> Placing them on the map or splitting up the map is very hard. I suggest
> we try everything else before.

Having the countries is a big step. Perhaps just adding the country
after the team name, or making some automatic filtering to mask the
ubuntu and the team words where we can.

>> ->  I try several words on the search bar, I don't understand why
>> sometime it returns a blank page, and sometimes it returns the entire
>> team list page. This search bar can do search by country and team names
>> I think, but something is broken.
>>
> Can you file a bug or tell us what you searched for and what didn't work?

I searched for France, ubuntu-fr, catalan. The result is the same, the
page don't change.

>>      Before going to my Loco Team, lets see the events page. "Ubuntu LoCo
>>      Global Events" ? It's local or global ? Ok I see, it's more like
>>      type of events. This should be more explicit, it's appear more like
>>      the other events. Not easy to make the difference.
>>
> I agree. Can somebody file a bug for that and suggest a piece of text to
> make it clearer. We can translate that content as well to make it more
> obvious.
>

>> ->  I think the Global Events should be more highlighted, with a complete
>> separated presentation on the page, like a box with the name, a short
>> description, the dates with a more natural form like "all the year" "the
>> 27th,28th and 29th august 2010", a link "learn more...", and a link
>> "show me only these events". These are special type of events, give them
>> some eye-candy.
>>
> Sounds good to me.
>

>>      It's amazing how many events are listed here. And I can search on
>>      country name, city name, team name, month name, but not in my own
>>      language. And I can see the past events. This list is even bigger.
>>      But it seems I can't yet filter it.
>>
> Searching in your language might be a bit hard to implement. Where do
> you see the past events?

http://loco.ubuntu.com/events/history/ << the events page, the submenu
have the link to it.

> [...]
>>
>>      Lets go to the Local Community team page I think it's for me, to
>>      know more about this community, what they do, what they offer, who I
>>      have to contact, where I can talk with them, where I can follow them
>>      on my social networks. Ok I'm on the page, reading it. Location,
>>      language, well I already know that. Launchpad page, Launchpad Team
>>      Owner, what's that, I keep that for later. Expires date, hum it's
>>      some kind of milk bottle ? Provides local support, yes, I don't know
>>      what it is but seems great. Launchpad Team Admins, another "strange
>>      word" field in relation to the administration. Resources, finally,
>>      some interesting information presented with strange icons. And to
>>      finish, the more interesting part, Events. Well, having to pass on
>>      top of the icons to know what they stand for is boring. I chose the
>>      first one, a link to an English wiki, on a page with more
>>      informations on it. This team seems great, I click on the "Join this
>>      team" link. Crap, this Launchpad thing again. Seems to be an account
>>      service, in English. Let do the registration. ok, an email, a
>>      validation, a password, ... what the hell, I can't join the team.
>>      It's restricted. But I'm on the Launchpad English thing. Overview,
>>      Code, Bugs, Blueprints, Translations, Answers. I go back where I
>>      came from seems better.
>>
> I like the "milk bottle". :-)
>
> It'd be nice to have some kind of mouse-over tooltip or explanation of
> what all these items are. That could be translated as well.
>
> Maybe we can have a separate discussion about Launchpad LoCo teams being
> restricted teams.
>
> Also having a bit of content about why we use Launchpad and why it might
> be confusing, but why it isn't scary would help. Where would we best put
> that?
>

>> ->  We need to put more information accessible to the team pages, the
>> icons are great but not everyone understand what it's a puzzle piece, a
>> pen, a world, some text should be added. On some field, some teams need
>> to add more than one entry, like in mailing lists, or irc channels. The
>> official website of the team should be the first link, not just an icon.
>> All the Launchpad stuff is impossible to understand when you don't know
>> what it's launchpad and it's appearing 3 times.
>>
>> ->  The systematic use of Launchpad is a big fail for me. This is not an
>> account provider. This is not a localised tool.
>>
> I agree that it's hard to understand, but we can't move away from it.
> It's what we use for shipit.ubuntu.com, for wiki.ubuntu.com and loads of
> other places. Plus we use it for noting down who is member of which
> team, who takes care of the team's planning, etc.
>

>> ->  The join this team link should only be present when you can
>> effectively join a team.
>>
>> ->  The "Launchpad Team owner" is one of the field I dislike the most.
>> Nobody can own a team.
>>
> Do you think we should just list them all under "team admins" and make

That make sense. We can already see the owner on the admins.

>> ->  Provides local support. Lot of teams say Yes. But what is local support ?
>>
> It might make sense to be able to add a link explaining where to get
> that local support.

But what is "Local support" ? it's realy a community thing ?

>>      Looking the event list is great, I can search for an event near me
>>      to assist and meet other users. It's cool on the team detail page I
>>      can see the city hover the title. Let see all the events. I can't
>>      see the city in this list. History, same problem, no city
>>      information. Going to an event page to have more informations, I
>>      can't go back to the last page with a menu like before, the go back
>>      is for the events page, not the team events page where I was before.
>>      OK, looking at this page event, like for the team page, no link to
>>      social networks, very basic informations. I can go to the venue
>>      detail page, to see same basic informations. Same problem, I need to
>>      use the prev of my browser to go back, the menu link "back to the
>>      venues list" is not where I came from. It's strange, some people are
>>      registered to attend to the event.
>>

>> ->  The informations presented are too basic, and having to go to 2 pages
>> to have all the information of an event (the description and the
>> location) is not fun. Like dedicated web page / sites, some events have
>> hashtags, a social network integration like the one for the global events.
>>
> I have no objection on merging venue info into the event page.
>
> What do you suggest in terms of "social network integration"?

The possibility to see the twitts on the event page. The facebook event
link.

>> ->  The venue page should provide more information, first one the
>> accessibility of the venue. Transportation information could be good
>> also. These information can appear or not on the event page. And where
>> is the address of the venue? (it's a bug)
>>
>> ->  A reminder to log in, or a link to register to attendance should be
>> great on the top of the Attendees list if the visitor is not logged in.
>>
> I totally agree. We should always show the link for attending or
> commenting on an event, even if folks are not logged in yet.
>

>>      Ok, let see the other menu entries on the top of the window. LoCo
>>      Council. Seem to be the people behind the "LoCo"s. Talking about the
>>      members of this council, but no list, and no link to know who they
>>      are. Next, the classic About, this one talk about the tool, and the
>>      guys developing it. And finaly the log in menu. Great he want to use
>>      my freshly created account from Launchpad. I'm logged in. I have new
>>      entries on the menus. But they are not all working. I can't add an
>>      event. But I can now put some comments on an event and register to
>>      it. Great.
>>

>> ->  We have to be more careful to the links we present to the users, a
>> registered user can't add events, but he can see the link to do that.
>>
>> ->  The loco council page need some work.
>>
> I agree, it needs work. If somebody can file a bug and provide some
> content, we'd appreciate it.
>

>> That's all for today. Some of the reflections are already bug reports /
>> whishes reported by others. Thanks you for reading me.
>>
> Merci beaucoup pour l'analyse. :-)
>
> Have a great day,
>   Daniel

I don't have time to open the bugs tomorow but if no one can do that,
i'll do it saterday.

Thanks

YoBoY