On Aug 13, 2008, at 5:34 PM, Paul Smith wrote:



The recent release build environment is a JDK 1.4 javac targeting JDK 1.1 bytecode. If the Geronimo jars contain JDK 1.5 bytecode, they won't work with JDK 1.4 compilers. Not sure, but I suspect that might be the case. Compilers in later JDKs don't support generating JDK 1.1 bytecode.

Ah yes, that might be the case. I thought you meant if you actually got to generate the log4j artifact jar, it would not be compatible out in the wild, but you're saying it may be difficult to even compile against it with the 1.1 restrictions.

At some point we have to let 1.1 go, it's more that 7 years old.

Paul


Looks like it is a non-issue. Apparently, I built log4j 1.2.15 with a JDK 1.6 on Ubuntu. I must have been thinking about the build environment that I used for log4j 1.2.14 which I think was a JDK 1.4 on Windows. It all gets fuzzy. What I think I remember is that some later version of javac would legal 1.1 byte code but had some peculiarity that would cause internal errors or some other issue on early JVM's. When I do a RC, I'll test it at least on Sun's JDK 1.3 and 1.4 for Windows and hopefully JDK 1.2 too.

If I remember correctly, there were no significant changes in the byte code format between JDK 1.1 and 1.3 , JDK 1.4 needed a new format for assertions and JDK 1.5 needed a new formats for generics. So saying that we are generating JDK 1.1 bytecode just means that we are still targeting pre JDK 1.4 JVM's.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
For additional commands, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to