Thanks for looking at this.

The choices I considered were

1)
<groupId>org.apache.logging.log4j</groupId>
<artifactId>log4j2</artifactId>
<version>1.x<//version>

2)
<groupId>org.apache.logging</groupId>
<artifactId>log4j2</artifactId>
<version>1.x</version>

3)
<groupId>org.apache.logging</groupId>
<artifactId>log4j</groupId>
<version>2.x</version>

I preferred 1 but am OK with 2.  I didn't like 3 simply because the doc was
talking about Log4j 2.0 and I quickly realized we would have a 2.1 and then the
doc would be strange.  So I shortened it to Log4j 2 and then thought it looked
better as log4j2.  It just seemed more natural to start numbering that at 1.0.

Also, 2.0 isn't binary compatible with 1.x (except for the log4j 1.x adapter -
which can't be 100% compatible either), but that isn't unusual in a major
release change.

Ralph