Thanks Ralph for explaining the background on this.

Actually I am for version 3. It confuses me to see at leats 3 numbers
in the name. Imaging the following version number: log4j2 2.2.2-BETA2
gives me headache.
My current fave for version numbers is http://semver.org/

As you already mentioned, for a major release number bump it is
natural that bc goes away. That being said I don't see reason why we
would need to make an explicit 2 after log4j. What, if we would level
to another log4j? Lets say v3 is not bc with log4j2 2.0. Then we would
have either log4j3 1.0 or log4j2 3.0.

Basically the name log4j2 as we use it now is a change of the product
name and we should be carefully with that. It is the same as log4j-xt
or log4java or log4j-nextgeneration.

I would feel better if we could stick with the original project name
log4j and just use version numbering to express the changes.

On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 1:49 AM, Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com> wrote:
> I should also mention that there is more than 1 artifact. There currently is
> log4j12-api, log4j2-api, logj42-core, log4j2-jcl, slf4j-impl, logj42-flume-og
> and log4j2-flume-ng.

Yes, I agree, this is to consider. By the way, is your plan to always
release them all at once, giving them all the same version number, or
are different version numbers for each component allowed?

Cheers
Christian

http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de