[
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-761?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel&focusedCommentId=15260358#comment-15260358
]
Remko Popma commented on LOG4J2-761:
------------------------------------
I don't remember exactly...
One drawback of moving these to log4j-perf is that they don't get run unless
someone manually selects and runs them. We should look into [running some of
the JMH benchmarks from a JUnit
test|http://stackoverflow.com/questions/30485856/how-to-run-jmh-from-inside-junit-tests]
and asserting some minimum performance level.
I often only run {{mvn clean package}} because the tests in the
{{@Category(PerformanceTests.class)}} category are so slow...
There are some valuable tests in there though: one of the deadlock tests caught
a nasty bug I had in one of my attempts to make the OutputStreamAppender and
subclasses garbage-free. That bug was not caught by the tests in {{mvn clean
package}}...
I guess what I'm trying to say is that these tests need to be carefully checked
one by one before we migrate them to the normal JUnit tests, converted to a
(JUnit-driven?) JMH benchmark or leave them as is.
> Move performance tests from JUnit to log4j-perf
> -----------------------------------------------
>
> Key: LOG4J2-761
> URL: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-761
> Project: Log4j 2
> Issue Type: Test
> Components: Core
> Affects Versions: 2.0.1
> Reporter: Matt Sicker
> Priority: Minor
> Labels: benchmark, test
>
> Firstly, all the JUnit tests marked with the category:
> {code}
> @Category(PerformanceTests.class)
> {code}
> should all be ported over to the log4j-perf module. The tests marked with
> this category generally only output performance benchmark data and don't
> perform any actual unit testing of their own. Now that we have several
> examples of how to use
> [JMH|http://openjdk.java.net/projects/code-tools/jmh/], it would be a good
> idea to clean up our unit tests as such. This way, we don't have to waste
> time in the build performing benchmark tests that aren't even verified in any
> way.
--
This message was sent by Atlassian JIRA
(v6.3.4#6332)
---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [email protected]
For additional commands, e-mail: [email protected]