Hi Jeroen,

At 17:34 31.01.2001 +0100, you wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I've been trying to get the SyslogAppender with the following code, but no
>luck so far:
>
>         cat = Category.getInstance(MyClass.class.getName());
>         cat.setPriority(Priority.INFO);
>         SimpleLayout layout = new SimpleLayout();
>         SyslogAppender appender = new SyslogAppender(layout, "anda", 0);
>         cat.addAppender(appender);
>         cat.warn("Low fuel level.");
>
>anda is a linux server in our network (not the machine I'm testing from!),
>do I have to configure it in a special way to allow syslog messages from
>another machine than itself to enter its log?

Yep. You have to enable the linux syslogd to accept messages from the
network with the -r option.

>What's the meaning of that parameter "syslogFacility" in SyslogAppender
>constructor?

Try "man 3 syslog".

>Many thanks,

You are welcome.

>ps.: I've tried looking similar questions like this but was unable to find
>them at www.mail-archives.com (link doesn't even work!)  and
>www.geocrawler.com

----
Ceki Gülcü - Independent IT Consultant

av. de Rumine 5            Tel: ++41 21 351 23 15
CH-1005 Lausanne        e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]  or
Switzerland                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]