Jim,

Why is this so? Assuming the file is local, Class.getResource will
return a URL with prefix 'file' that should work regardless of whether
the file is a properties file or xml. As long as either is somewhere in
the classpath this works great. The only question that would remain is
precedence if both are found.

John