Greetings:

We are implementing a large, distributed system here and using log4j.

We wish to deploy a tree of SocketNode based remote loggers, so that
multiple application logs may be consolidated.   The problem is that in the
remote logs there is no way to tell at which host, user, JVM, etc. the
original message was logged.

I am currently working around this using NDC, but that is very tedious,
especially with Swing applications where I do not create the thread in which
work is actually done.

I propose adding the following to LoggingEvent:

  static InetAddress inetAddress = InetAddress.localHost();
  static String user = Properties.getProperty("user.name");
  static Object otherData = null;

  public static setOtherData(Object od) {otherData = od};

Obviously, the various layout classes would have to be modified to provide
the ability to render these values.

Am I too late for 1.1?

Comments?

Joshua Moses Diamond
Vice President
Robertson Stephens
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
+1 (212) 940-9649

 <<Joshua Moses Diamond.vcf>>

DISCLAIMER

Notice Regarding Entry of Orders and Instructions:

Please do not transmit orders and/or instructions regarding your Robertson Stephens
account(s) by e-mail. Orders and/or instructions transmitted by e-mail will not be
accepted by Robertson Stephens, and Robertson Stephens will not be responsible for
carrying out such orders and/or instructions.

Notice Regarding Privacy and Confidentiality:

Robertson Stephens reserves the right to monitor and review the content of all e-mail
communications sent and/or received by its employees.