The log4j "core" doesn't use output streams nor writers, individual
appenders do. I believe the appenders which ship as part of log4j does
indeed use Writers and not OutputStream. This is true, for example, for
FileAppender. Ultimately, however, characters are written using your
platforms default character encoding. If your platforms default encoding
was, say, UTF-8, then korean log messages written to a FileAppender
should appear as korean in UTF-8 encoded log files.

Anders