There is a well known uhhh "operating anomaly" in Runtime.exec() related to
Process errorstream and outstream. The javadocs:

Because some native platforms only provide limited buffer size for standard
input and output streams, failure to promptly write the input stream or read
the output stream of the subprocess may cause the subprocess to block, and
even deadlock.

Actually, in practice, on NT/Solaris these buffers are very small and if you
don't clear them the subprocess absolutely will block and can hang the
invoking JVM. This means that if the execed process does any significant
stdout/stderr your are quickly hosed, as there is no reliable (sensible) way
to guarantee "promptly read"ing these streams before they fill their
buffers. We use Java Runtime.exec() to run other Java programs, so these
other java programs must produce no stderr/out.