Thanks!  This was what i was looking for.  (I don't mind having a different
appender name for a separate class.)

I used log4j.category.full.path.to.class.here=DEBUG, anotherAppenderName
And then i set up the anotherAppenderName to use a different pattern for
output.  Worked like a charm.

I was try log4j.full.path.to.class.here before. 8((

The email contained other good information.  A lot of that could be found in the
user manual.  I was hoping for a reference that would give all the different
options for the configuration file.  E.g. where would i find the above
log4j.category.categoryName documented?

Thanks again.
Anuj.