Anuj Agrawal wrote:

> 2 things:
>
> 1. i remember reading somewhere that log4j.properties file is the default file it
> will look for
> 2. the examples provided are just an illustration on config file usage.  Normally
> you would have to use something like
> PropertyConfigurator.configure("log4jconfigfile.properties"); somewhere in your
> code (replacing log4jconfigfile.properties with whatever filename you are using.
>
> Apparently, somewhere (i still haven't found where) in Tomcat, it is told that if
> it finds a log4j.properties file that it should automatically use it.

It's in the Category static initializer where the decision is made
whether to attempt to load log4j.properties.  You can alter this
behavior by specifying a JVM system property of "log4j.configuration" to
be the name of your configuration file.  You can also specify
"log4j.defaultInitOverride" to tell the static initializer to skip the
initialization attempt altogether.

- Paul Glezen

--
Beware of bugs in the above code.  I have
only proved it correct, not tried it.