2 things:

1. i remember reading somewhere that log4j.properties file is the default file it
will look for
2. the examples provided are just an illustration on config file usage.  Normally
you would have to use something like
PropertyConfigurator.configure("log4jconfigfile.properties"); somewhere in your
code (replacing log4jconfigfile.properties with whatever filename you are using.

Apparently, somewhere (i still haven't found where) in Tomcat, it is told that if
it finds a log4j.properties file that it should automatically use it.

HTH.
Anuj.