We also considered this .... but when you look at the scope of
change if you want to move away:

* 1 import statement
* create your own version of Category to implement the new
interface to your new logging package

When you look at this, moving to a different package at a later date
is a pretty small deal.

I'd say concentrate you efforts in your Category naming hierarchy
since this is a pain to change later. Get this right, and log4J does a
fine job and would be easy to swap out later if you needed.

Just for info ... we're working with 2 category sets at the root of our
logging

DIAG.*          developer and/or diagnostics messages

APPL.*          application messages

Easy to control and filter.

-- Rob

Send reply to:          "LOG4J Users Mailing List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>