Hi,

We have been using log4j 1.0 for logging in our web application. We had
logged outputs from jsp, servlet and beans. The outputs where sent to
console and a file. The configutation is loaded using a auto start
servlet.

All was working fine, however when we restarted the tomcat server we
noticed that log messages were not sent to the file. The only message in
the file is the one generated by the servlet when it configures the
log4j.

The configuration file is given below:

log4j.rootCategory=debug, stdout, R

log4j.appender.stdout=org.apache.log4j.FileAppender
log4j.appender.stdout.File=System.out

# Pattern to output the caller's file name and line number.
log4j.appender.stdout.layout.ConversionPattern=%5p (%F:%L) - %m%n

log4j.appender.R.File=/home/dogmatix/web/WEB-INF/billworker.log

log4j.appender.R.MaxFileSize=100KB
log4j.appender.R.MaxBackupIndex=3

log4j.appender.R.layout.ConversionPattern=%d %p - %m%n

The outputs to the console are working fine.
What went wrong?

Regards,
Ashish