Amit,
Here is some sample code of how we have used Log4J in servlets.

public class StartupServlet extends HttpServlet
{
   static Category cat =
Category.getInstance(StartupServlet.class.getName());
    public void init()
    {

 URL propsURL = Util.configureLog4j();
 PropertyConfigurator.configure(propsURL);

 cat.info( "Starting the app");

//here is the Util class
public class Util
{

    public static URL configureLog4j()
    {
        ClassLoader loader = Thread.currentThread().getContextClassLoader();

        URL propertiesURL = loader.getResource("log4j.properties");
         return propertiesURL;

Thanks
Zeba