I have extended Category (MyNewCategory) and have created 2
of my own priorities (NOTIFY and FORCELOG).

I am using XML properties/config files.

I can successfully filter (or set the logging priority) per class (aka category)
using the following:
   <category name="a.b.c.d" class="MyNewCategory">
        <priority value="NOTIFY" />
    </category>

However, the purpose for my NOTIFY priority was to separately filter
that and write it to a NT Event Log Appender.  For now, I am using a
FileAppender to write these events to a separate log file.

I have this appender configured as follows:

    <!--  Define the NOTIFY_TO_LOG appender -->
    <appender name="NOTIFY_TO_LOG" class="org.apache.log4j.FileAppender">
       <param name="File" value="log_notification_out.txt"/>

            <param name="ConversionPattern" value="%d{ISO8601} XXXX: %m%n"/>
        </layout>

 <!-- Only write events with Priority=NOTIFY to this appender -->
        <filter class="org.apache.log4j.varia.PriorityMatchFilter">
            <param name="PriorityToMatch" value="NOTIFY" />
            <param name="AcceptOnMatch" value="true" />
        </filter>
        <filter class="org.apache.log4j.varia.DenyAllFilter">
        </filter>
    </appender>

If I change the PriorityToMatch value to INFO, then I get all my INFO logs
to go to this file using the format specified in the ConversionPattern.
Therefore, I suspect that my XML is setup properly.

Inspection of org.apache.log4j.spi.LoggingEvent.java shows that it says
"  <p>This class is of concern to those wishing to extend log4j. ".

However, I am at a loss to understand how I should proceed.

1) Should I *modify* the file and change all usages of Category to MyNewCategory ?
Would then I need to modify all the caller's to pass in a MyNewCategory ?

2) Should I attempt to check if the given category object is really a MyNewCategory
object ?

3) Or more likely, I have no real clue !! <grin>

Any and all help would be appreciated.

Thanks