Jamie,

In general, JMS should not be used for performance reasons but for its richer
properties such as broadcasting and persistence. JMS lies at the very end of the
performance spectrum.

Asynchronous logging can give excellent results in systems doing tons of IO, for
example in an EJB running under a heavily loaded Application Server. Hope this helps,
Ceki

--
Ceki Gülcü - http://qos.ch