In looking at Log4j source, if one uses a File based Appender, it looks
like calls to the various Category log functions (debug, info, error, etc)
are held up until the actual File I/O occurs via the QuietWriter class.  I
did notice the immediateFlush boolean in WriterAppender, and although it
helps performance, it is considered a heavy tradeoff to turn off
immediateFlush.

I just want to make sure that I am not missing anything;  Log4j does not
have message queing functionality does it?

Craig R.