Hi All,

     I'm currently evaluating the possibility of using Log4J as our logging
solution rather than writing my own from scratch or using the JDK1.4
logging API. I have been given a couple of requirements that the logging
system must fulfill. Right now, Log4j looks like it does most of what we
need, but we also have special requirements of the data we log.
We need to log certain data to JDBC destinations, files, console, etc based
on category. Log4j handles this nicely, but here is what they want.

1. 3 custom "logevent" objects, one for each type to log: PAGE, TRADE, and
QUOTE

2. Each object shares a set of common fields and then each object has one
or two custom ones

3. We want to log the event to a remote log server from the client side and
not just locally if we choose. From what I've seen from the LoggingEvent,
the actual message is NOT serialized as a whole object, but rather its
string representation.

4. Support for generic logging of text to either the central server or
locally

5. Must handle a high load of requests, we sometimes get 1000+ requests per
second depending on traffic

6. Must be configurable at runtime

I have thought of a couple of solutions, but I'm still new to Log4j and I
may be missing something. I've looked at the AppServer examples, and all of
the others but nothing seems to be jumping out at me. Here are some ideas I
had..

Idea #1.  Simply extend Category to look for a custom "Message" payload
filled with ALL the fields to be logged, and then write any needed Layouts,
etc. Since the methods on the Category class take and Object I though I
could rig something up like this.. But I think I still need the actual
message object to be sent over the wire as a whole so I can pull it apart
on the remote server side to put the elements into a table, etc. Just
getting the string representation on the "remote" side means I'd need to
parse the string to get the fields i needed to be put into the database
table.

Idea #2.  Follow the AppServer examples and extend all the classes, but I
have the problem of needing to populate about 10 or so fields each time I
go to log a message regardless of which solution I choose.

I look forward to some help..I'm under a strict timeframe and need to make
a decision within a week.

Thanks,
- Tim

Timothy G. Mullé