There is no separate, central document on properties and log4j
configuration. Basically, you have to look at the JavaDoc for the appender
of interest. Log4J follows the Java bean standard. The public setter methods
are going to be the properties you can put in your config file. For example
if I had a RollingFileAppender I called TEXT then I could do :

setMaxBackupIndex() = log4j.appender.TEXT.MaxBackupIndex=10
setMaxFileSize()    = log4j.appender.TEXT.MaxFileSize=500KB
setFile()           = log4j.appender.TEXT.File=C:/logs/service.log

Rick Hansen